Longtime freight-railroad user Peerless Confection Company at 1250 W. Schubert is closing its doors. The company has been making hard candies on Chicago’s north side since 1914. Peerless was one of the last companies east of the highway that used the Bloomingdale Line for freight service before traffic was rerouted, leaving the Bloomingdale dormant. For many years, the grade-level freight service to the candy plant traversed dense urban neighborhoods along Lakewood Ave. after crossing east on the Bloomingdale and then over Chicago River. Several active industrial freight users remain on Goose Island and nearby areas, served by the newly created Chicago Terminal Railroad.
For more about the north side’s freight rail history see the excellent North Side Switching site.